Monthly Archives: February 2011

One Hundredth Post: Office Furniture Set

Here it is… the 100th post on Room to Think! And here I am, with a wonderful matching set of furniture in my office (thanks to this blog for keeping me accountable). The furniture, of course, was not originally matching! Most of it was from Goodwill and the rest from Craigslist. Ever since moving into this apartment, our office room has struggled to stay organized and uniform, so I decided to take the next step and paint a few pieces to match. Here is the before picture of our bookshelves, which are now moved into different places in our apartment and look much cleaner!

My campaign desk, painted ‘Restorative White,’ has always been a favorite piece in the office and I wanted to change the other mis-matched pieces (bookshelf and wooden file cabinet) to match. Thanks to my mom, I was able to paint both of the pieces in one day. We began with creating clean surfaces by sanding the pieces down. The bookshelf had a thick layer of high-gloss stain that was stubborn to sand off and the file cabinet was painted tan.

After the sanding, we applied a thin coat of primer to prep the surface for the new paint.

 

{Sanded/Primed file cabinet}

Finally, after the primer dried, we could try out the ‘Restorative White’ paint on the pieces. Two coats were sufficient before applying the polyurethane coat with a rag. This ensures a shiny, protected layer over the paint.

Restorative White paint makes the pieces look clean, mature and vintage. The bookshelf and file cabinet would look even better if I could find brass hardware-accents for the corners. As a total, these three furniture items cost me $25 and the paint cost $20. Our coordinating furniture in the office gives the room a brighter and more uniform appearance!

 

My Apartamento Bathroom

I really despise our apartment-y bathroom, but for under $50 I was able to give it a mini-makeover, adding a bit of visual interest.

Here are the before pictures:

The three cylinder glass vases above the toilet are from the dollar store. I used this DIY idea to cover them with some extra canvas I have leftover from building my art canvases. The canvas had been washed, giving it a nice wrinkled/textured look.

First I ironed three edges for a clean look:

Then I hot-glued the un-ironed edge to the glass cylinder, and wrapped the canvas around, hot-gluing the other edge on top of the first.

Wah-lah!

And here they are storing my rag-tag necklace collection. I know, I need help in the jewelry arena:

My other bathroom project was these scrolly wooden frames I found at Pier 1 for only $32 for the two of them. Someday they may get a coat of paint, but white is great for our apartment. They didn’t come with mirrors in them, just glass for pictures. I thought they would be funny-looking with such tiny pictures (plus I don’t like a lot of pictures behind glass in our steamy bathroom where they can get damaged) so I ordered 4″x4″ mirrors from eBay and they were just what the frames called for.